- Plan your travel itinerary. Make transportation and lodging reservations in advance.
- Send change of address to: Post office (give forwarding address), charge accounts and credit cards, subscriptions (change notice requires several weeks), and friends and relatives.
- Contact cable, electric, and telephone companies in new location to arrange for immediate service.
- Arrange insurance on the new home prior to the transfer of property.
- Arrange for your present bank to establish credit references for new bank accounts.
- Service appliances before moving.
- Clean rugs and have them wrapped.
- Discontinue deliveries, electricity, water, gas, newspapers, and garbage collection, etc.
- Obtain copies or transfer your children's school records.
- Obtain records from doctors and dentists, including eyeglass prescriptions, dental X-rays, and vaccinations.
- Cancel club memberships.
- Transfer car title registration, if necessary, as well as driver's license, city windshield sticker, and motor club membership.
- Pay existing bills and cancel local charge accounts.
- Check on personal items that may be at the photo shop, bank safe deposit box, neighbor's house, on lay-a-way or in the repair shop (e.g., shoes, jewelry, small appliances or clothing).
- Arrange for transporting pets and obtain immunization records from the vet.
- Return all library books and anything borrowed from friends.
- Notify the religious leader of your church or synagogue.
- Carry traveler's checks for quick, available funds.
- Plan for special care and needs of infants.
- Arrange for transporting plants.
- Service the car for the trip.
- Disconnect the telephone.
- Review moving plans with your moving company representative, including insurance for packing and unpacking, arrival date, payment agreement, shipping papers, etc.
One Week Before Moving
- Clean and air out your stove.
- Defrost refrigerator and freezer 24 hours before leaving.
- Place charcoal or baking soda inside refrigerator and freezer to dispel odors.
- Dispose of all open cans and jars that cannot be tightly sealed.
- Remember to pack your telephone directory for future reference.
On Your Moving Day
- Leave a copy of your travel itinerary with a friend or relative.
- Carry all currency, jewelry, and personal papers (birth certificates, deeds, and documents).
- Double check closets, drawers, and shelves to be sure they are empty.
- Confirm hotel reservations.
- Leave all old keys needed by the tenant or owner with your Sales Associate.