What is a smart home? It's a home equipped with smart products connected through Wi-Fi or Bluetooth to control or automate the functions of a house. Thermostats that learn to adjust the temperature automatically based on your schedule, lightbulbs that you can control from your phone, doors that automatically lock when you leave the house are just a few examples of home automation.
As smart home technology becomes more mainstream, we put together the top five trends to watch for smart homes in real estate.
- Smart homes will be the new normal. Homewoners will have batteries in their garage for their electric cars. Buyers will demand smart lighting, temperature and appliances. Smart technology is becoming more affordable and accessible, so it's only a matter of time before it proliferates the market.
- Smart staging will reimagine home staging. Face it, smart home technology is really, really cool. Sengled makes a light bulb that streams your music. Nest knows what temperature the room should be at when you through the room. Listings with smart home technolgy are going to have an edge.
- Smart phones are your smart home remote control. "Do you have a smart phone?" Cochrane asked the audience. "Well then you have a remote control for your smart home. " She is right - and it's a demand we're already starting to see from our home buyers. According to our survey last month, 62 percent of real estate professionals say that buyers want to control their home from their smart phones.
- Brands will contine to integrate. "Products are going to begin to talk to each other, " said Ben Bixby, General Manager of Engerg Products, Nest. The past year has been a major time of growth for the smart home market. New players are entering the space every day, and the industry is working to make all the pieces fit together.
- The smart home will become the connected home. You have smart products, like the French dooor refrigerator with the smart cooling from LG, or the Caseta wireless by Lutron. And then you the connected home, which you can control from your smart phone. "The key is having appliances that make your life simpler," said John Taylor, the Vice President of Public Affairs and Communications for LG.
A smart home provides security, energy savings and convenience - it can also increase the marketability of a listing for sellers.
To learn more about Smart Home Technology, go to https://www.coldwellbanker.com/smart-home